Our Approach to Sustainability
Sun Chemical’s sustainability policy is based on the concept of eco-efficiency as defined by the World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD). Eco-efficiency is achieved by the delivery of economically competitive goods and services that satisfy our customers’ needs and bring quality of life, while progressively reducing ecological impact and resources intensity throughout the life cycle.
Download our latest Sustainability Report which shows how Sun Chemical achieved its own recent energy and water usage goals and highlights various initiatives that have been implemented to increase the company’s overall commitment to developing sustainable solutions for customers, such as:
- A long-term strategic target to reduce CO2 levels by at least 30% by 2030
- The reduction of water usage beyond the 32% achieved in 2018
- The identification of areas to improve in driving innovation of sustainable procurements, as highlighted by EcoVadis, a leading provider of business sustainability ratings
- The company’s connection to CEFLEX to promote a circular economy for flexible packaging
- Greater levels of biorenewable content in Sun Chemical products
Sun Chemical is taking a phased approach to our sustainability effort and is using a roadmap to improve the eco-efficiency of our products and processes.
For our processes, we will:
- Set improvement targets for energy and water consumption, greenhouse gas emissions, and solid waste emissions.
- Measure and report these parameters, regularly, by site and by product.
- Establish actions to improve, then re-check and re-measure.
For our products, we have:
- A structured and robust approach to product development that includes risk management and eco-efficiency improvements as key criteria.
- An infrastructure for product stewardship that leads the industry.
- Proactive approach in working with suppliers, customers, and industry trade groups to promote best practices.
We are challenging ourselves internally to look for ways we can improve our processes at individual sites by monitoring key metrics to understand and manage our environmental impact. We will regularly report on the following parameters:
Sun Chemical publishes a corporate sustainability report every year, which focuses on these metrics. You can also learn how we’ve aligned our sustainability goals with the United Nations’ 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the ambitious plan of our parent company, DIC Corporation, to achieve carbon neutrality by 2050.
Corporate Social Responsibility
Sun Chemical is committed to an established system of values and ethical conduct in all its relationships.
For example, Sun Chemical collaborated with 33 companies to help found the Responsible Mica Initiative (RMI), which enables a responsible and sustainable mica supply chain in India free of child labor.
We encourage our employees at all locations worldwide to interact with and support their local communities. Employees have done so in a variety of ways, including:
- The donation of masks to the New York Fire Department
- Sponsoring golf tournaments toward a Manchester hospital’s neonatal care unit
- A toy drive in Cincinnati, Ohio
- Donations to an organization that help’s Burnham, UK’s local families through difficult times
EcoVadis is a trusted partner of Sun Chemical that provides third-party business sustainability ratings, intelligence and collaborative performance improvement tools for our global supply chain. The EcoVadis platform ranks Sun Chemical’s corporate social responsibility using a variety of categories, such as environment, labor and human rights, ethics, and sustainable procurement.
Sun Chemical has scored a bronze rating and is at the 69th percentile for its industry sector. The score is important in helping Sun Chemical to identify areas where the company can make further improvements.
Sun Chemical is committed to collaboration to improve sustainability. For example, we joined CEFLEX to further enhance the performance of flexible packaging in the circular economy by designing and advancing sustainable solutions for the market.
As a member of the Sustainable Packaging Coalition and Association of Plastic Recyclers, Sun Chemical collaborates with other packaging sustainability stakeholders to identify actionable improvements to existing packaging systems that would ultimately benefit people and the environment.
Sun Chemical creates products that:
- Have high levels of bio-derived or recycled content
- Improve the shelf life of packaged products
- Make printed products easier to recycle
To accomplish this goal, Sun Chemical procures bio-renewable or recycled raw materials and makes regularly improvements in its manufacturing processes. Then develops solutions that keep food fresh, use less energy and reduce waste. Considerations also have to be taken for the end of life of the packaging, such as recyclability, repulpability, compostability, and de-inkability.
To learn more about our products and services with sustainable benefits, see Our Offerings.
Download Our Sustainability ReportRequest
TOKYO, JAPAN — April 23, 2021 — As a member of the Japan Climate Initiative (JCI), DIC Corporation announced today that it has endorsed the message released by the JCI titled “Calling for an Ambitious 2030 Target for Japan to Realize the Paris Agreement Goal.” This message urges the Japanese government to set an ambitiousRead More ›
TOKYO, JAPAN — April 26, 2021 — DIC Corporation has developed a drier agent that expedites the drying of coatings by accelerating oxidative polymerization without cobalt compounds. Compliant with European environmental regulations, DIC has begun shipping samples through group company Sun Chemical Corporation, based in New Jersey (U.S.A.), and its European affiliates of the new drierRead More ›
Wexham Springs (Reino Unido) – 21 de abril de 2021 – Sun Chemical presenta SunCure® 44HC150, un barniz de curado UV, estampable y de alto brillo, fabricado con un 25% de contenido en carbono renovable y con un 12% de material reciclado postconsumo. Dicho barniz ha obtenido una excelente valoración tras pruebas con clientes actuales,Read More ›