Solvent-free Lamination Technology
Introducing a solvent-free adhesive for semi-flexo application
After several years of intense R&D activity, DIC Corporation and Sun Chemical have developed a new way of applying solvent-free adhesive, and by partnering with Uteco, it is now available.
Sun Chemical and Uteco have combined their expertise to bring DUALAM™ technology to the new frontier.
DUALAM consists of two distinct coating groups where the two components of adhesive are applied individually and merge only in the nipping station.
- Enhances pot life of the adhesive
- Reduces downtime with an easy cleaning process
- Increases efficiency and time to the market
- Provides fast curing process of the adhesive mix in the rewinder
Some of DUALAM’s benefits include:
- Shorter time for the laminate to be slit (couple of hours)
- Quicker time to develop heat stability needed for pouching (24 hours max)
- Fast 3-ply lamination (second passage possible in a couple of hours)
- Rapid decay of primary aromatic amines
With lamination speeds that can run up to 500 m/min, DUALAM technology provides similar lay down/wettability to solvent-based technology immediately off-press, even on high printed design coverage and at a lowered coating weight of 1.6 to 1.8 g/m2, resulting in overall high productivity and efficiency.
Due to a partnership with Synaptik, DUALAM includes an in-line quality control check that has a coating weight exclusive infrared cross-width detector which provides on-time measurement—reducing potential waste and increasing productivity.